Saturday, October 4, 2008

Fire Disaster


Last winter their was a devastating fire about a block from my home.  The fire engulfed n apartment building at Middle and Church street as well as a Temple and a portion of the Sawyer Library.  Firemen informed me that had it not been for the heavy snow and freezing temperatures, my building and the rest of downtown Gloucester could have been in flames.

Some friends of mine were watching the disaster unfold on TV and noticed that a red Saab 93 was right next to the engulfed building.  I was too busy taking photographs to realize that my car was being melted by the blaze.  

Some may find my photographing such situations rude, namely the Gloucester Police.  But each opportunity I have to tell a story, find meaning, or something beautiful within a tragedy helps define my photographic instincts.  

View a video of the view from my kitchen.  Taken by a friend of mine.

No comments: